- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust
Visit St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Pasadena
St. Andrew's Catholic Church is a Catholic church in Pasadena, California. Founded in 1886, it is the oldest Catholic parish in Pasadena and one of the oldest in Los Angeles County.
St. Andrew Church, an architectural masterpiece built in 1927, was the inspiration of Monsignor John McCarthy and architect Ross Montgomery. The Romanesque church tower and facade are replicated from Santa Maria in Cosmedin, a church dedicated in 1123 and situated in Rome on the left bank of the Tiber River.
The interior of the church is a replica of the Basilica of Santa Sabina dating to the early days of Christianity in Rome. In that church, situated on the Aventine Hill, marbles from many lands enhanced the columns. At St. Andrew's, the Corinthian-capped scagliola columns are the work of Italian artisans of the 20th century.
The altar and baldachin are structured of white Carrara marble, and the mural above, depicting the legend of St. Andrew, was painted by Carlo Wostry, a Venetian master descended of Italian mural painters of the Renaissance.
St. Andrew Church is recognized as an extraordinary replica of Romanesque architecture a and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.