- Learn to say 'no' to the good so you can say 'yes' to the best. John C. Maxwell
Llandudno is Wales's largest resort with a multitude of hotels, traditional B&Bs and other attractions, uniquely situated between the Great and Little Ormes with two wonderful beaches, the award winning North Shore and the quiet, sand duned West Shore.
Llandudno has kept its Victorian and Edwardian elegance and splendour, despite its modern attractions.
During the Victorian era, roads on the Great Orme were still fairly primitive and the steep slopes prevented all but the most sure footed from reaching the summit. Llandudno was fast becoming a very popular tourist resort, so it wasn't long before local businessmen latched on to the idea of a cable tramway.
A little over 15 months after construction work started at the bottom of the Orme, the line was declared safe by the Board of Trade. On 31st July 1902 the first car moved off from Victoria Station, to the sound of the town band playing "God save the King".
Suddenly, Llandudno's Mountain did not seem quite so big and inhospitable as it once had. Now people of all ages and physical abilities could enjoy the rugged scenery, fascinating wildlife, and spectacular views. The Great Orme had gone public!
Even before the tramway was finished, work had started on a nine bedroom hotel, which adjoined an 18-hole golf course. The white building, which is now better known as the Summit Complex, has had several owners, a big fire and many 'face changes' since its grand beginnings.
The R.A.F. requisitioned the hotel in 1941, and it became a temporary radar-station. Then in 1952, a champion middleweight boxer named Randolph Turpin became the resident licensee until 1961. The Llandudno Urban Council bought him out when he got into financial difficulties with the Inland Revenue. He ended his life with a single bullet in 1966. The golf course has long since disappeared but the complex is more popular than ever, boasting a Randolph Turpin Bar, themed restaurant, cafeteria and gift shop.