- The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands but seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust
Visit Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria, Perugia
The bulk of the collection was amassed during the secularisation of churches, convents and oratorios carried out by the French during their occupation (1797-1810). For a time the collection was housed in the former convent of the Olivetani, at Monte Morcino Nuovo, now the seat of the university.
The Galleria Nazionale dell' Umbria was founded in 1863 and has occupied the third floor of Palazzo dei Priori since 1879.
After a long period of closure to allow for restoration and re-hanging of works, the Galleria was recently re-opened in its entirety.
The exhibition layout is organised chronologically and by painting schools. It documents the development of painting in Umbria from the Middle Ages to fairly recent times, and includes several masterpieces of Italian art between the 13th and the 18th centuries.