- Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship. Buddha
Surfing is a surface water sport in which the wave rider, referred to as a surfer, rides on the forward or deep face of a moving wave, which is usually carrying the surfer towards the shore. Waves suitable for surfing are primarily found in the ocean, but can also be found in lakes or in rivers in the form of a standing wave or tidal bore. However, surfers can also utilize artificial waves such as those from boat wakes and the waves created in artificial wave pools. For a lot of surfers, the best spot to surf would be the one where wind, swell, direction, tides, and seafloor meet. Wind creates the quality of the surfing waves, while its force and interaction with the direction of the swell, the tide in a certain hour, and type and status of the ocean floor create a certain wave condition. Popular surfers have traveled the world looking for the best waves.
Some of the best surfing spots in the world are:
- Tofino, Vancouver Island, Canada,
- Les Cavaliers, Anglet, France,
- White Beach, Okinawa, Japan,
- Rincon, Puerto Rico,
- Watergate Bay, Cornwall, England