- Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated. Lou Holtz
Graduate from the UWTSD
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD) was formed on 18 November 2010 through the merger of the University of Wales Lampeter and Trinity University College Carmarthen, under Lampeter’s Royal Charter of 1828. On the 1 August 2013, Swansea Metropolitan University became part of UWTSD. The University’s Royal Charter is the oldest in Wales and England after the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. In 2011 HRH the Prince of Wales became its Royal Patron.
The campus was founded in 1822 as St David’s College to provide a liberal education to members of the clergy.
Over the years it developed a range of subjects and, as the University of Wales Lampeter, enjoyed a reputation for undergraduate and postgraduate provision in English, Archaeology, Chinese, Classics, History, Theology, as well as introducing new areas such as Philosophy, Anthropology, Ancient Civilisations and Creative Writing. Now, as UWTSD, the academic community continues to thrive and the portfolio offered attracts an international cohort of students each year.
The original 1848 building lies at the heart of the Carmarthen campus. It was initially known as South Wales and Monmouthshire Training College and was established to train teachers for church schools in England and Wales. It later became known as Trinity College and subsequently Trinity University College before joining forces with the University of Wales Lampeter to create UWTSD.
For most of the twentieth century there were three separate educational institutions serving the city of Swansea: the Swansea College of Art (established in 1853); the Swansea College of Education (established in 1872) and Swansea Technical College (established in 1895).
In 1976, the three institutions came together to form the West Glamorgan Institute of Higher Education, which eventually became Swansea Institute of Higher Education. In 2008, the Privy Council gave permission for the institution to be renamed Swansea Metropolitan University and, several years later, the institution merged with the Lampeter and Carmarthen campuses to create the new UWTSD.