- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. Mahatma Gandhi
Become a Journalist
Journalism is a competitive, yet highly rewarding field. It’s the backbone of the media industry and is critical to a high functioning democracy. To be successful as a journalist, you must have a passion for truth, honesty and integrity, and the guts to go out and get the story.
Build upon your natural writing talent. To become a journalist, some intrinsic skills are necessary to achieve success. First off, you’ve got to have an inquiring mind. You must be passionate about knowledge and learning, and willing to do what it takes to get at the truth behind a story.
The core purpose of a journalist is to research, document, write, and present the news in an honest, ethical, and unbiased way. Although the method for reporting the news may be changing, the need for talented, qualified and educated journalists isn’t. A journalist job description still calls for hard work, ethics, quality writing, and, at its heart, the desire to tell the truth. As a journalist, you may find yourself:
- interviewing people in a wide range of circumstances
- writing copy for publication on a tight deadline
- building contacts and sources for use in future stories
- fact-checking the information given to you by a source
- creating blog publications